14 April 2020

RDO Finally Called It A Day

RDO Retiring
Meralco Bolts veteran big man Ranidel de Ocampo announced last 13 April that he is retiring from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) after a glittering 16-year career.

He revealed his decision on the 2OT podcast and on Twitter, saying he can now spend more time with his family.

"At first, I only saw basketball as a sport that I like to watch. It has never crossed my mind that it will become one of the biggest part of my life," he said. "I started playing serious basketball at the age of 14."

"At 38, with the guidance of the Lord and my family, I am now announcing my retirement as a professional basketball player," he said. "Because of basketball, I successfully fulfilled my dreams and gained so much lessons and values."

"I was able to represent and fight for our country and entertain basketball fanatics. I can now spend more time with my family."

De Ocampo was the fourth overall pick of FedEx in the 2004 PBA Rookie Draft, but it was with the TNT franchise where he made his name as one of the PBA's best power forwards of all time.

He was a two-time Finals MVP, and six-time champion, and the Best Player of the Conference in the 2014 PBA Governors' Cup.

He also served the country as part of the Philippine national team, and played for the Gilas Pilipinas squad that won silver in the 2013 FIBA Asia Championship and went to the FIBA Basketball World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment