02 October 2013

An Attempt to Distract the Team

Meralco Bolts
Before they tied their best-of-five series with San Mig Coffee Mixers last Tuesday (1 October 2013), there was a subtle attempt to distract the Meralco Bolts team. The intention was to sow discord and give everyone the impression that rookie Cliff Hodge is calling for the resignation of coach Ryan Gregorio using his Twitter account.

A tweet fired from Hodge’s account @therealchodge1 read: "Coach Ryan should resign immediately before HE LOSES another game for the team!!!!"

The Fil-American forward moved quickly to disown the tweet and clarified that his account was hacked after using a ‘very weak’ password. He also acknowledged that the purpose of the hacker was to try and “distract him and the team in the semis.”

In an article by Snow Badua of Spin.ph, Hodge issued the following statement:
"It was my fault. I only had the name of my girlfriend Mackenna as my access code, so it was easily hacked. You know I can never do that to coach. I have very high respect for him.

And even if we lose by a hundred points, I can never blame him. It's a team game. If I have issues with coach Ryan, I will talk to him man to man … privately. I am not the type of person who will use other means to air my feelings.

I know how hard coach works for this team. And I know he doesn't want this result to happen. I can see his sacrifices."
Gregorio played it cool and admitted he wasn't aware of it until Hodge sent him an SMS denying that the tweet came from him. He added such distraction won’t affect the team as it bids for a first-ever Finals stint in the league.

"No thoughts. We move on. There is a bigger obstacle to clear and that is San Mig Coffee. Would have been different if it was really him," said Gregorio.

To the one for hacking the Twitter account of the high-flying freshman whom Meralco picked as the No. 4 overall selection in last year's Draft, Gregorio has this to say.

"God bless the person who hacked/tweeted it. I respect people’s opinion, but it doesn’t mean that I will follow their advice."

No comments:

Post a Comment