11 July 2018

Shady Game 1 Officiating Scored

Coach Norman Black
Meralco Bolts coach Norman Black lamented the officiating late in the Bolts’ loss to Barangay Ginebra in Game One of the PBA Commissioner’s Cup quarterfinals last 9 July.

"I hope we can get better shake from the guys governing the games because today, it was quite frustrating in the endgame," Black said. "The game was called well in the beginning but I think in the end, it wasn't called well at all."

Black said he also won't mind if he gets fined by the league for his statements.

"It will give me a fine, but so what," Black rued.

Black said he felt their game against Ginebra during the eliminations were called evenly unlike on Monday night, mentioning instances late in the game where he felt the referees made incorrect decisions.

"I thought there were some contact that could have been called that wasn't called. I was just tired of it. We played this team in the elimination round and they called it, I think evenly."

"When we go to the playoffs, when (Chris) Newsome goes to the basket, I think the rule is when there is contact when taking a shot, a foul should be called. It was just a let-go situation. I don't really get that. It's a close game, few minutes to go in the game, those fouls have to be called.

"JD (Dillinger) jumps in the air, loses the basketball, and the ball lands on the ground, they call travelling. Nobody has even touched the ball yet. How do you explain that. I really don't get it," said Black.

Black admitted it was very frustrating on his part to complain to the referees in that crucial juncture of the game. He also called for a ‘fair shake’ in the officiating in the next match of the best-of-three series on Wednesday.

"Of course, we are frustrated. I'm frustrated, what more them (players). We just want a fair shake. That’s all we are asking for. If some of the guys governing the game can’t give both teams that, then they should not be governing the games. They shouldn’t be there. But we will leave it up to the commissioner after he fines me for what I said," said Black.

Aside from the officiating, Black hopes the Bolts play better defense in Game Two.

"We didn’t play as good a defense as the second half. They may seem good shots in the second half," Black said.

"I just hope we can come out and get a better shake from the guys who are governing the games," Black said.

No comments:

Post a Comment